How do I write professional emails in English?
First of all, you should understand that ‘professional’ does not mean long. A professional email gives clear statements about the reason of writing and the expected response. If it is too long, the reader may start to skim it and miss the main message.
The common structure of emails is:
1. Greeting (Dear Name, Ms/Mr. Name or Name Surname)
2. Expression of gratitude (especially when you respond): thank the sender for his enquiry about your service, for contacting you or your organization, for providing an insight/pointing to the drawbacks/shortcomings if you respond to the complaint, etc.
3. The reason for writing. Here are some nice options:
– I’m writing to enquire about …
– I’m a [teacher of English composition] looking to [determine students’ needs in relation to essay writing]
– I am writing in reference to/ in regards to …
– I am a representative/ on the […] team and I am reaching out today, because we are very interested in your …
– My [construction] firm is in need of expertize on [metal constructions], and many colleagues say your insight is unrivaled.
4. Demonstration of how what you ask for creates value for the recipient. Why is it important for him to respond with a letter/action you ask for?
5. A closing remark: I am looking forward … to your reply/ to discussing this with you further [date]/ to being in tough, etc.
6. A closing: Best regards, Sincerely, Yours truly, (in a separate line)
Then: your full name, position, detailed contact details in the next lines
It is recommended to add a subject line trying to characterize the content of the letter. Don’t ask questions here. Don’t say “hello”.
It is a must! to check the message for grammar mistakes and typos! It is a part of being perceived as a professional. In addition, some mistakes and typos do interfere with meaning. Just to see the importance of this, consider what difference one letter (now-not) makes in the messages: We are now/not looking to resolve this issue.
If you write many professional emails or launch an automated mailing to your clients, you should better have your emails proofread by a professional. If you are interested in receiving my proofreading services, message me and we will discuss the details.