What are some don’ts of essay writing?
I would focus on these five don’ts students are likely to overlook:
1. Do not overuse direct quotations (they should take up not more than 10% of the paper)
2. Do not make an introduction or a conclusion too long (they should be not longer than 10% of the paper each)
3. Do not include unsupported claims (something like, “All people would like to get higher education/ everyone enjoys going to fast food chains” – we do say that in everyday speech, but the writing is called academic not without a reason 🙂
4. Do not mistake a roadmap for a thesis statement.
5. Do not present any new information in the concluding paragraph (finishing with emphatic citations may work well for English 101, but presenting anything new in the conclusion is forbidden in the academic writing)