Choosing a Topic for a Coronavirus Essay
Coronavirus can be discussed from a variety of angles. Choose how you will narrow your topic by focusing on what interests you most and relates to your major.
Be sure to consider the type of essay that you need to write to maintain the right structure of your essay. You can modify the same topic to write essays of different types. For example, here is how your focus will differ in essays of various types all discussing the relation of coronavirus and economy:
- analytical essay: analyze various ways, in which Coronavirus has affected the global economy;
- cause and effect essay: discuss whether Coronavirus is the cause of the current economic recession and if it is the only cause (browse other topics for cause and effect essay);
- compare and contrast essay: compare the economic recession due to Covid-19 with the recession of 2008;
- problem and solution essay: discuss a specific problem (small business closures, loss of jobs, stagnation of entire industries like traveling or entertainment) and suggest ways to address it;
- argumentative essay: the quarantine measures help prevent the spread of the virus and minimize deaths, but they also cause the closure of businesses, job losses, and overall economic stagnation. So, what should a government prioritize? Choose one side and provide arguments in support of your position.
- persuasive essay: just like an argumentative essay, a persuasive essay should argue for one claim, but it should not be as formal as an argumentative essay – feel free to use various rhetorical appeals to prove your point;
- opinion essay: like in the argumentative essay, you need to choose and argue for a certain point of view. Still, here, you are allowed to give examples from real life, give counterarguments without refuting them, voice your predictions, etc.
- rhetorical analysis essay: do a rhetorical analysis of a speech of a prominent person persuading the audience in the need for social isolation, or arguing that the threat from Coronavirus is exaggerated and governments are doing wrong putting the global economy at threat (Brazil or Belarus presidents may be of help here).
Approach the suggested topics as the angles, from which you can consider the pandemic in your essay. Feel free to ask how to modify the topic to suit your essay type in the comments.