Sociology research topics all deal with the study of human society. Such a broad idea makes most students confused about where to start and what can/cannot qualify as sociology research. Let me clarify this for you and suggest some interesting sociology research topics that will help you get a good mark and valuable knowledge.
How to Narrow Sociology Research Topics
All sociology research topics can be narrowed to the study of a particular social institution or social phenomenon. Social institutions are the groups of people that act as mechanisms of social order governing behaviors and expectations of individuals. For example, your own college or university is a social institution that prescribes, as well as proscribes certain behavior to all individuals engaged in it. Other examples of social institutions are cities, communities, institutions (legal, cultural, religious, etc.), ethnic and cultural groups, families.
The social phenomenon is any interaction between humans as well as beliefs and behaviors that influence this interaction. Social phenomena range from marriage to divorce, from friendship to bullying, from racism to nationalism. Gender, which does not rely on biological characteristics, but on the person’s perceptions and interaction with other individuals is a socially constructed phenomenon either.
Assume we are speaking of aging. If you view it as a natural phenomenon, you will describe the bodily processes that take place in the aging organism. If you view it as a social phenomenon, you will consider the phenomenon of ageism and its effects on how the aging person feels and acts.
The following questions are all great to choose for your sociology research. So browse, choose and leave a short note for me telling if like the list I have created 😉
Sociology Topics on Child Development
- To what extent do adult relationships depend on bonding during early childhood development? What are the implications of this association?
- To what extent do adult achievements depend on the social and economic background? What are the implications of this association?
- Should the state provide early childhood development courses for families expecting a baby?
- Should parents or the state assume responsibility for child obesity? How should child obesity be tackled?
- How does advancement in gene editing change society and its views? Can ‘designer babies’ be accepted as a social norm soon? See credible essay sources for a genetic engineering essay.
Sociology Topics Concerned with Identity
- How do millennials differ from older generations? What does it mean for society?
- The phenomenon of vegetarian and vegan cultures.
- Should the fact that free will doesn’t exist change anything about human identity?
- The development and functioning of race as a social phenomenon.
- Does racial segregation still exist?
- How important is patriotism in the age of globalization? (find out more about the opposing views on patriotism)
- Should there exist an affirmative action for women / racial minorities / sexual minorities?
- The analysis of the integration of disabled / mentally challenged people in the X community.
- How popular a digital nomads’ lifestyle has become. What makes such a lifestyle possible and what are the implications of this trend?
- Compare the portrayals of aging men and aging women. What are the implications of such portrayals on the aging women’s lives and self-perception? Have any steps been taken to amend the situation?
- Are 30ies the new 20ies? What are the benefits? What are the hazards of the trend?
Social Research into the Topic of Sexuality
- What are the societal/ religious institutions’ norms in relation to sex?
- Do adolescents feel pressure to have sex?
- Can watching porn have any consequences on an individual’s sexuality?
- Should there be any state programs that will breed a healthy view of sex? Why such programs might be needed?
- Is there a need for stricter control over sexual content on the Internet, mass media, and social media?
- Should prostitution be legalized?
- Are women in modern society objectified? Who is to blame for the objectification of women?
- Why is sex disappearing from Japan? What are the implications of this trend?
The Sociology of Marriage
- Does the age of entering marriage predict marriage success?
- The effects of early childbirth on young parents/ children/ state?
- Is there pressure to marry in modern society? What effects does it have on the single and childless or ‘childfree’ individuals?
- What is the role of dating websites in today’s marriage? (Consider the use of dating websites both for finding a soulmate and for cheating)
- Why LGBT marriages should/should not be recognized by the state?
- Should LGBT couples be allowed to adopt children?
- Should single individuals be allowed to adopt children/ get in vitro fertilization (IVF)?
- Should individuals take conflict resolution courses before getting married?
Social Research Concerned with Critical Life Events
- What are the effects of bullying on the bully/the bullied?
- What is the role of teachers and educational institutions in promoting/preventing bullying? What promotes/prevents bullying? (It is worth considering prioritizing power and sports, cherishing competition rather than community, mass media portrayals)
- What are the effects of divorce on the divorced individuals?
- What are the effects of divorce on children?
- How did the perception of divorce change over time? (Consider if people are prohibited or discouraged to divorce, if they face exclusion from the community, etc.)
- What are the implications of high divorce rates for the state/society?
- Should abortion be allowed?
- Should the state fund programs help people overcome the psychological consequences of abuse/ divorce/ bankruptcy?
- Are there any long-term effects of surviving a terrorist attack / a serious disease?
- How is pandemic changing our society? (Browse diverse essay topics on Covid-19 in this post)
Sociology Essay Concerned with Technology
- Is organ transplantation a medicalization of death? What controversies surround organ transplantation?
- Is the addiction to the internet a real thing or just a medicalization of the problem?
- What is the potential societal impact of virtual reality?
- Positive and negative effects of social media on people in general and adolescents in particular.
- What are the effects of the online disinhibition effect (lack of restraint one feels when communicating online in comparison to communicating in-person)? Should mass surveillance become a social norm or be opposed?
- Is the society undergoing a blogging craze? What the advantages and disadvantages of this phenomenon?
- Are we moving towards a global society? Is it rather good or bad? Can Google become the Circle?
- Study a particular cult, clan or sect.
- Study a particular social movement.
- Analyze a particular social theory.
- Study of the roots and manifestation of a particular popular superstition.
Writing a Sociology Essay
Once you have chosen a great sociology research question, it’s time to look for the credible sources and write a research proposal. The professor’s feedback will help you understand if you are on the right track, thus discuss your social research even if the formal proposal is not required.
Here are the tips that will help you
- Write a strong thesis statement for your sociology essay
- Structure your essay in accordance with the academic writing requirements
- Summarize and paraphrase the experts’ ideas and cite them correctly in your essay
- Edit your first draft improving the flow and the clarity of your writing.
If you need professional assistance to turn your rough draft into a winning sociology essay, I’d love to help.